Sunday, October 30, 2011

The First Days!!

Well there is a lot to talk about!
I left Los Angeles just in time! My flight was the last flight to take off anywhere that was a Qantas flight. After my flight all Qantas flights were grounded, so I was lucky to take off! I was on the plane for around 15 hours, but it went by really fast! For dinner I had Chicken Cacciatore with orzo, a lot of different veggies, caramel cream cake and mamosas :) Then when I woke up, I had an asparahus omelette, fruit, bacon, muchrooms, and yogurt for breakfast. Overall the flight went great, and I was able to watch a lot of good TV shows and movies on my own personal TV!

I arrived in Sydney at 7:30 am Sydney time, which is 5:00 pm the day before in Michigan! Which is crazy to think about. I was in customs lines for an hour, and then I met my host dad Roger. We went out and saw the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera house. After that I had my first meal in Australia which was some delicious Fish and Chips! Once we were done there I headed back to the airport to get on a plane to Darwin.

I arrived in Darwin at 5:30 pm Darwin time, which is 4:00 am that morning in Michigan. I got picked up by my host families friend, and I headed to my host families house. I was able to pick my room, take a shower, and then I got ready to head out to eat! Blake (my host brother) took me out to an Italian place on the Darwin Harbour, and we had some amazing food! I once again had some mamosas :) My dinner was spinach and ricotta cheese balls with pine nuts and cheese and sauce :) When we were done there Blake took me to a place called East Point and we used his HUGE flashlights to find kangaroos! We saw a lot of them which was really cool! We also got out and walked around and tried to find some crocodiles, but we didn't see any. We looked from a distance just in case we saw one, so we couldn't get attacked haha. They are 3 to 4 meters in that areas so that is pretty big and scary! Once we were done there Blake took me back home and I finally fell asleep!

Today I have lounged around, and I have been getting settled. Blake took me to get lunch at a cool place on the harbour, and it was delicious! We went and look at the Harbour/Creek area that was in low tide at that point in the day. (Pictures below) I am still waiting for my host parents to get back from Sydney/Melbourne, but they will be here tomorrow! I also am excited for Sofia to finally make it! She was stuck in LA because of the grounding of Qantas flights, so hopefully she will be here soon!

The house here is very cool, and we have a pool which is nice! Very tropical, and cool area. We have coconut trees in the yard, and Blake said the coconuts will be dropping soon!

Pictures are all below to show the house I am staying at, food I have had to eat, and things I have seen!

Vegas as we flew over it!

My first view of the Bridge!

Naval Ships in Sydney

Showing how low the tide was...there is a line you can see on the post where the water usually is. The tide changes 4 times a day!!

 Showing the tide again

My dinner!!

The front of the house

The pool

The bar by the pool under the house

The trees outside my window

The deck

Kitchen and living room

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy you have a blog up and running already! Glad you made it there safely. The house you are staying at looks really nice and the food looks good too :) Enjoy everything!